Can a Chiropractor Help with Low Back Pain?
If you're suffering from low back pain, you're not alone. Low back pain is an extremely common problem that affects millions of people. In fact, around 80% of adults experience low back pain at some point in their lives.
The good news is that seeing a chiropractor can often provide relief for low back pain. Chiropractic care is a safe, effective treatment method that focuses on the health of your spine. Keep reading to learn more about how chiropractors can help with low back pain.
What Causes Low Back Pain?
Your lower back, also called the lumbar spine, bears most of your upper body's weight. This puts a lot of stress on the structures in your lower back:
- Muscles and ligaments - These tissues can strain from overuse, improper lifting, or poor posture.
- Intervertebral discs - Discs act as cushions between vertebrae. Damage can cause bulging or herniation.
- Vertebrae - The small bones of your spine can develop bone spurs or become misaligned.
- Nerves - Irritation from nearby damaged structures leads to radiating pain.
Issues with any of these tissues can cause the ache, soreness, and stiffness of low back pain. Some common causes include:
- Injuries from falls, accidents, or sports
- Sprains from overstretching ligaments
- Strains from muscle or ligament tears
- Structural problems like scoliosis
- Disk degeneration or herniation
Understanding what's causing your particular pain will help guide the right treatment approach.
Benefits of Chiropractic Care for Low Back Pain
Chiropractors are back pain specialists. They use non-invasive, drug-free techniques to treat low back pain by improving spinal alignment and mobility. Specific benefits include:
- Reduced inflammation - Spinal adjustments and soft tissue work decrease local inflammation associated with low back pain.
- Improved range of motion - Gentle spinal and hip mobilization techniques restore normal motion lost due to low back pain.
- Less muscle tension - Chiropractic adjustments help relax overtight muscles contributing to back pain.
- Decreased nerve irritation - Spinal manipulation relieves pressure on nerves branching from the lower back.
- Better spinal alignment - Chiropractors correct postural issues and vertebral subluxations causing back pain.
- Increased flexibility - Stretches and exercises recommended during treatment improve back flexibility and strength.
In addition to pain relief, chiropractic patients often report improved ability to move, increased energy, better posture, and less muscle soreness.
What to Expect with Chiropractic Low Back Pain Treatment
Visiting a chiropractor for low back pain typically involves:
- Comprehensive evaluation - Your chiropractor will take your health history and perform a physical exam, plus possibly imaging or lab tests. This helps identify the root cause(s) of your low back pain.
- Spinal adjustments - Gentle manual manipulations help realign vertebrae and restore proper joint mobility. You'll feel joints loosen up.
- Soft tissue techniques - Your chiropractor may use massage, stretching, or instrument-assisted methods to relax muscles and ligaments.
- Modalities - Therapies like heat/ice, ultrasound, and electrical stimulation help relieve low back pain.
- Customized exercises - These help strengthen your back, improve flexibility, and support spinal adjustments.
- Lifestyle advice - Your chiropractor will share tips to help prevent future low back pain flare-ups.
Treatments are tailored to your specific needs and typically feel relaxing rather than painful. Most patients experience noticeable pain relief within several weeks.
The Benefits of Chiropractic Adjustments for Low Back Pain
The main technique chiropractors use is the spinal adjustment, also called spinal manipulation. This involves gently moving joints into their normal position to improve mobility.
Chiropractors are experts at delivering safe, effective adjustments. Benefits for low back pain include:
- Restores mobility - Adjustments help stuck joints in your lower back move properly again, eliminating pain.
- Relieves muscle tension - They reduce spasms and contractions in back muscles pulling on vertebrae.
- Reduces nerve inflammation - Takes pressure off irritated nerves originating from the lower spine.
- Improves function - With improved alignment and mobility, your entire back can move better.
- Enhances flexibility - Allows a wider, pain-free range of motion in your back.
- Boosts circulation - Increased blood flow brings oxygen and nutrients to aid healing.
- Relaxes the body - Many patients experience an overall feeling of relaxation after an adjustment.
Through these mechanisms, chiropractic adjustments provide both immediate and long-lasting relief from low back pain.
Additional Chiropractic Therapies for Low Back Pain
In addition to spinal adjustments, your chiropractor may incorporate other hands-on techniques based on your specific condition. These include:
- Flexion-distraction - Uses a specialized table to gently stretch the lower back. Eases disk and joint irritation.
- Trigger point therapy - Applies pressure to deactivate muscle "knots" in the low back causing referred pain.
- Instrument-assisted soft tissue mobilization - Specialized tools help improve muscle, ligament, and tendon mobility.
- Low-force techniques - Gentle pressure and joint traction maintain comfort.
- Therapeutic massage - Relaxes tight, painful back muscles and increases circulation. Especially helpful for chronic low back tightness.
- Dry needling - Inserts tiny needles into trigger points to reduce low back muscle spasms and pain.
Chiropractors may also recommend supportive therapies like ice/heat, electrical stimulation, ultrasound, or restorative stretches and exercises.
Chronic Low Back Pain Relief Through Ongoing Chiropractic Care
For chronic or frequently recurring low back pain, one-time treatment is often not enough. In these cases, ongoing chiropractic care helps manage pain and prevent future flare-ups.
Here's how ongoing chiropractic helps with chronic low back pain:
- Cumulative benefits - Effects become more pronounced with regular adjustments over weeks and months.
- Preventive maintenance - Keeps joints moving smoothly and prevents new issues from developing.
- Ongoing relief - Provides sustained pain relief between acute flare-ups.
- Reduced frequency - Regular chiropractic care decreases how often you experience debilitating low back pain episodes.
- Improved function - Allows you to move and participate in activities without pain or limitations.
- Long-term results - The benefits of monthly or weekly chiropractic care persist long after treatments end.
For patients needing consistent low back pain relief, chiropractors design personalized wellness plans. These include recommended treatment frequency, exercises, lifestyle changes, and home care.
Chiropractic Care for Low Back Pain Caused by Common Conditions
Chiropractors successfully treat low back pain stemming from many common spinal issues:
- Herniated/bulging discs - Chiropractic adjustments take pressure off the irritated disc allowing it to heal. Flexion-distraction therapy gently stretches the area to create more space.
- Spinal arthritis - Gentle joint mobilization techniques restore mobility to arthritic areas. Adjustments also reduce related muscle tightness and spasms.
- Spondylolisthesis - Carefully administered adjustments encourage normal vertebral motion. Exercises strengthen core muscles for added support.
- Sciatica - Chiropractic helps realign the lower spine to take pressure off the sciatic nerve. Massage releases piriformis and gluteal trigger points.
- Spinal stenosis - Spinal adjustments restore mobility to restricted areas. Specialized traction techniques provide localized stretching.
- Scoliosis - While chiropractic doesn't correct the actual curve, it helps manage pain and prevents progression.
These and other common causes of low back pain improve with hands-on chiropractic care.
The Chiropractic Approach to Low Back Pain Relief
Chiropractors take a holistic approach to treating low back pain. Their goal is to address root causes, not just mask symptoms temporarily.
- Thoroughly evaluating contributing factors
- Restoring proper spinal alignment and mobility
- Relaxing surrounding muscle spasms and tension
- Reducing nerve compression or irritation
- Improving posture and body mechanics
- Developing a personalized treatment plan
- Providing nutritional and lifestyle recommendations
- Collaborating closely with your other healthcare providers
Through a combination of treatments, chiropractors enhance your entire musculoskeletal system to achieve long-lasting back pain relief.
Finding a Qualified Chiropractor for Low Back Pain
If you're considering chiropractic care for low back pain relief, it's important to find a properly qualified chiropractic physician. Here's what to look for:
- Doctor of Chiropractic (DC) degree from an accredited chiropractic college
- State licensure to practice chiropractic care
- Extensive specialized training in spinal manipulation therapy
- 10+ years of experience treating low back pain is preferable
- Strong communication skills and patient education
- Use of modern tables and instruments for precision and comfort
- Commitment to evidence-based, patient-centered care
Dr. Leach at Greenwood Village Chiropractor meets these criteria for an excellent low back pain chiropractor. He combines traditional spinal adjustments with the latest pain-relieving techniques.
Patients praise Dr. Leach's caring approach and skill at tailoring treatments to their unique needs. His holistic methods resolve a wide range of back pain issues.
Experience Proven Low Back Pain Relief
If you're tired of struggling with constant or recurring low back pain, consider chiropractic care. Chiropractors have great success treating low back pain naturally using their specialized expertise.
Spinal adjustments bring your vertebrae back into proper alignment to eliminate nerve irritation, muscle tension, inflammation, and restricted mobility. Hands-on therapies like massage relax the surrounding tissues. Therapeutic exercises strengthen your back for lasting results.
Through these methods, you can finally address the root causes of your stubborn low back pain. Dr. Leach with Greenwood Village Chiropractor has over 25 years of experience providing effective chiropractic treatments for low back pain.
Schedule a $79 new patient exam today to learn how chiropractic care can help manage your low back pain. You'll get a thorough evaluation, spinal adjustment, and one-hour massage - a $260 value!
Take advantage of this affordable way to find natural relief from your constant back pain. The sooner you start chiropractic care, the sooner you can get back to living your active life pain-free.
When you subscribe to the blog, we will send you an e-mail when there are new updates on the site so you wouldn't miss them.